Home > HIPs Basics > What Properties need a HIP?

What Properties need a HIP?

By: Christine Whitfield BA (hons) - Updated: 8 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
Hip Home Information Pack Property

The introduction of Home Information Packs has not gone smoothly. The compulsory packs enforced by the government to ease the house buying and selling process were originally supposed to include mandatory Home Condition Reports which was detail the general condition of the property – meaning the buyer would not be left with any nasty surprises. However in the summer of 2006 the government decided the HCRs would no longer be compulsory and instead could be purchased on an optional basis.


The packs were originally meant to be introduced on June 1st 2007. This date was pushed back however to August 1st, and more changes were made. Instead of being compulsory for sellers of all properties they were instead only obligatory to those selling a property with four or more bedrooms. Of course this led to much debate as to what could be classed as a bedroom and many “upstairs studies” suddenly emerged.

As of September 10th 2007 all properties with three or more bedrooms were required to have a HIP before they were put on the market. The phasing in of HIPS is set to continue throughout the next year.

What Properties need a HIP Right Now?

At present you do not need a HIP if you have a four bedroom property that was on the market with an estate agent or advertised privately before August 1st 2007. Any four bedroom houses put on the market after this date do require a HIP.

Similarly if you have a three bedroom property which was put on the market before 10th September 2007 you do not need a HIP. Any three bedroom properties put on the market after this date do require a HIP.

When will all Properties need a HIP?

As it stands one and two bedroom properties on the market do not require a HIP but as of December 14th 2007 all properties will require a HIP. Until June 1st 2008 as long as you have commissioned a pack you can put your house on the market. After that date you must have the HIP completed before you market your house.

What Properties don't need a HIP?

There are several other circumstances in which you do not need to purchase a HIP.If you are selling your property to a family member for instance and therefore are not advertising it you will not need to purchase a HIP.If you are selling a holiday home or seasonal property a HIP is not required. Similarly if you are selling a mixed property, for example a shop with a flat above it (commercial/residential) then you do not need to provide the buyer with a HIP.Right-to-buy properties, i.e. whereby council tenants purchase their properties from the council at a discount, do not need a HIP.

The HIP debate rumbles on and, as the last year has shown, there have been and could still be several changes in how they are used and what they contain. 2008 looks sure to bring new developments in the HIP introduction, most notably in the types of properties which require a HIP. Buyers and sellers should ensure they keep up-to-date with these developments so as to know what they are entitled to, what they need to do and when they need to do it.

Website Design, Illustration, Hosting and SEO

If you are looking to increase brand awareness, generate web enquiries and/or generate online sales In Studio Digital will create an affordable, mobile friendly, secure website - check out In Studio Digital.

Based in the UK, skilled in WordPress, web design, ecommerce and illustration, they will build your site quickly, host it on a high performance server, and make it SEO friendly. Prices start at £399.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: