Home > HIPs Basics > Why do I Need One & How do I Get One?

Why do I Need One & How do I Get One?

By: Christine Whitfield BA (hons) - Updated: 8 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
Hip Home Information Pack Phased

Unless you have been on a desert island for the past year you will have heard about Home Information Packs. The debate around the new government legislation for house sellers has received endless press coverage and the furore surrounding them has left most buyers and sellers confused and worried. But you needn’t be. HIPS are for the time being at least here to stay and in the long run could make selling your home a lot easier.

What are Home Information Packs?

Home Information Packs are packs which contain most of the information needed to sell your house. The initiative has being phased in gradually (see what properties need a HIP) but before long any homeowner wishing to put their house on the market will have to purchase HIP to provide the buyer with. This will inform the buyer of the condition and energy efficiency of your house and is said to therefore make the whole buying and selling process run more smoothly. Buyers will have to think carefully about the decision to buy a home and it is hoped HIPs will therefore reduce the risk of buyers dropping out – which, as anyone who has experienced this will know, is extremely stressful, and especially if you have subsequently began the process of buying your next property.

Buying the HIP is the responsibility of the seller. It is also the seller’s responsibility to compile the pack; this can be done with the help of a solicitor or by yourself.

What does a HIP contain?

The HIP contains several compulsory documents including:
  • Index
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Sale Statement, Standard Searches
  • Evidence of Title


  • Home Condition Report
  • Legal Summary
  • Home Contents Form (For more information see separate articles.)
The seller must make compile the HIP before the property is put on the market. To compile your HIP first contact a solicitor to arrange for the searches to be performed. The solicitor can also arrange the legal documents.

The Energy Performance Certificate must be conducted by a Domestic Energy Assessor or Home Inspector. As the induction of HIPS gathers pace more qualified inspectors are emerging. A simple internet search should help you locate one local to you. The Home Inspector can also perform the Home Condition Report should you wish to include this in your pack.

If you would rather you can compile the pack without the help of a solicitor or conveyancer. There are lots of information and guides available to help you.

The Local Land Charges department of your local authority can provide you with the necessary local search. To obtain an Energy Performance Certificate you will need to locate an Energy Assessor or Home Inspector as above. You can find an Energy Assesor easily in your local directory.

Website Design, Illustration, Hosting and SEO

If you are looking to increase brand awareness, generate web enquiries and/or generate online sales In Studio Digital will create an affordable, mobile friendly, secure website - check out In Studio Digital.

Based in the UK, skilled in WordPress, web design, ecommerce and illustration, they will build your site quickly, host it on a high performance server, and make it SEO friendly. Prices start at £399.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: